Millipede is an award-winning mobile, education and game development agency headquartered in Melbourne, Australia. An AKQA group company, we create elegant mobile experiences that make people learn, laugh and tap play one more time.
Our guiding principle is to create an environment where people can practice their craft, learn, grow and continue to love what they do. At Millipede, you’ll have the opportunity to learn and grow within a creative and technically advanced environment, with access to ongoing personal and professional development.
You’ll be working on ground breaking play-based learning games, chart-topping casual games, award-winning gamification campaigns, and impeccable consumer-facing mobile applications. And you’ll create these exceptional games and apps for high-profile clients across government, education, healthcare, financial services and retail.
We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds, skills, and experiences.
We currently have opportunities in our Melbourne office for the following full-time roles:
As a Technical Lead, you will bring your extensive experience delivering world-class mobile apps to a leadership role in our technical engineering team. Working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary environment, you will lead the technical delivery of projects, and help manage, grow and inspire our team of expert mobile developers. This role incorporates a significant hands-on tools contribution to our projects.
- Mobile development and delivery (apps and/or games) across the entire software development life cycle, in a technical leadership capacity
- Responsible for providing technical oversight and ensuring the quality of technical output
- Technical business requirements discovery
- Solution design and documentation
- Managing developers of varying seniority
- Interacting with clients, and helping develop client relationships, in the role of an expert technical advisor
- Contributing to new business opportunities, such as specifying and quoting the technical delivery of proposed solutions
Qualities and characteristics:
- Excellent programming fundamentals
- Experience making foundational architectural decisions for mobile projects of varying scale
- An awareness of secure-by-design mobile engineering strategies
- Significant experience communicating with or developing RESTful APIs
- Experience collaborating with multiple vendors and integrating projects with complex technical ecosystems
- Deep knowledge of platform-sensitive user behaviours and interaction paradigms across mobile operating systems and devices
- Ability to integrate high fidelity creative designs to an exceptional standard of polish
- Experience with build systems, deployment tools, device management, Apple App Store and Google Play application submission
- Ability to monitor performance, review code, provide feedback and foster skills development of developers of varying seniority
- Exceptional written and oral communication
- A confident, approachable, supportive, positive demeanour
- Game development experience
- AWS experience (primarily: EC2, RDS, CloudWatch, SNS)
- Agency experience in a similar setting
- Familiarity with human-centred design practices
- Experience interviewing/hiring developers
- A professional interest or intellectual curiosity in any of the following areas:
- Gaming and game design
- Apps facilitating education and learning
- Apps for children
Our Learning Design team is responsible for developing creative solutions to optimise learning experiences for users. We believe learning should be fun. This role focuses on apps for children.
In this role you will contribute to developing the learning design approach of apps for educational projects, working closely with other Learning Design team members. You will collaborate with other design disciplines to ensure our apps, games and activities are fun; appropriate for the target audience; and achieve the learning design goals for the project. This may include liaising with our art designers, game designers and developers, as well as external subject matter experts. You will also help conduct play testing of early app designs with children.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate an understanding of how children learn, especially through play, and how that impacts app design.
You may have:
- an educational background and/or qualifications, with
- a strong interest in the use of technology for learning
- a good understanding of play and its role in learning.
Or, you may have:
- experience producing digital resources, preferably apps for children
- UX experience, preferably working on apps for children.
A combination of the above experience is advantageous, but not required. The successful candidate will need to hold or undergo a working with children check. Salary and level is commensurate with relevant experience.
- Identify and/or interpret salient aspects of curriculum or learning-related documents to help determine project-based learning outcomes and creative solutions.
- Develop learning design documentation, such as functional specifications and content scripts.
- Draw on knowledge of learning to advise team members on the suitability of content and designs.
- Review learning content documentation and apps at different stages of development.
- Prepare for and conduct play testing sessions, analyse findings and report recommendations to team members.
- Brief and liaise with subject matter experts.
- Work collaboratively with other project cross-discipline team members, especially game designers, art designers and developers.
Other tasks, depending on experience:
- Contribute to learning design at concepting stage. This may include proposing activity ideas, participating in workshops, creating documentation, undertaking research and presenting findings.
- Direct voice talent, check audio files and maintain associated documentation.
Experience and knowledge
- An understanding of learning principles.
- An ability to interpret curriculum frameworks and learning-related materials.
- In tune with children and their interests.
- Experience and willingness to work both independently and collaboratively.
- An understanding of the relationship between play and learning.
Qualities and characteristics
- A strong commitment to learning and self-development.
- Adaptable, self-motivated, and highly organised.
- Able to solve problems.
- Excellent communication skills.