Millipede is an award-winning mobile, education and game development agency headquartered in Melbourne, Australia. An AKQA group company, we create elegant mobile experiences that make people learn, laugh and tap play one more time.
Our guiding principle is to create an environment where people can practice their craft, learn, grow and continue to love what they do. At Millipede, you’ll have the opportunity to learn and grow within a creative and technically advanced environment, with access to ongoing personal and professional development.
You’ll be working on ground breaking play-based learning games, chart-topping casual games, award-winning gamification campaigns, and impeccable consumer-facing mobile applications. And you’ll create these exceptional games and apps for high-profile clients across government, education, healthcare, financial services and retail.
We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds, skills, and experiences.
We currently have opportunities in our Melbourne office for the following roles:
As a Technical Lead, you will bring your extensive experience delivering world-class mobile apps to a leadership role in our technical engineering team. Working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary environment, you will lead the technical delivery of projects, and help manage, grow and inspire our team of expert mobile developers. This role incorporates a significant hands-on tools contribution to our projects.
- Mobile development and delivery (apps and/or games) across the entire software development life cycle, in a technical leadership capacity
- Responsible for providing technical oversight and ensuring the quality of technical output
- Technical business requirements discovery
- Solution design and documentation
- Managing developers of varying seniority
- Interacting with clients, and helping develop client relationships, in the role of an expert technical advisor
- Contributing to new business opportunities, such as specifying and quoting the technical delivery of proposed solutions
Qualities and characteristics:
- Excellent programming fundamentals
- Experience making foundational architectural decisions for mobile projects of varying scale
- An awareness of secure-by-design mobile engineering strategies
- Significant experience communicating with or developing RESTful APIs
- Experience collaborating with multiple vendors and integrating projects with complex technical ecosystems
- Deep knowledge of platform-sensitive user behaviours and interaction paradigms across mobile operating systems and devices
- Ability to integrate high fidelity creative designs to an exceptional standard of polish
- Experience with build systems, deployment tools, device management, Apple App Store and Google Play application submission
- Ability to monitor performance, review code, provide feedback and foster skills development of developers of varying seniority
- Exceptional written and oral communication
- A confident, approachable, supportive, positive demeanour
- Game development experience
- AWS experience (primarily: EC2, RDS, CloudWatch, SNS)
- Agency experience in a similar setting
- Familiarity with human-centred design practices
- Experience interviewing/hiring developers
- A professional interest or intellectual curiosity in any of the following areas:
- Gaming and game design
- Apps facilitating education and learning
- Apps for children
As Learning Designer, you will be responsible for developing the learning approach for educational projects. In collaboration with the Learning Design Lead, you will draw on Millipede’s play methodology and/or game-based learning to ensure games and activities are fun, appropriate for the target audience, and achieve the project goals.
You will develop ideas, content, and documentation to deliver the learning outcomes defined for the project. When required, you may also contribute to initial concept development and participate in concept workshops.
All learning design team members are expected to have an excellent understanding of learning theories, and play/game-based approaches to learning.
- Create and maintain clear learning content documentation, including wireframes/concept drawings, flowcharts, functional specifications, scripts, and level tables.
- Review learning content documentation, builds, and other learning-related artefacts.
- Prepare for and conduct user testing sessions, reporting findings and recommendations to project teams.
- Work collaboratively with other project team members, especially game designers, art designers, and developers.
Qualities and characteristics:
- Highly organized, adaptable, self-motivated, and able to solve problems.
- Excellent communication skills.